Wow, who saw that coming? I privately predicted Bulls would win 98-92, but didn’t DARE whisper it because I didn’t want to jinx them. I also take into account that I’m a die-hard and am usually hopeful Bulls can grind out a win against any team. Well, they ended up winning this one by 8, not 6. 93-85! They snap New York’s five game win streak, while extending their own number of wins to three (season high). Not bad for having played the 4th game in 5 nights (2 on the road).
So very proud of the Bulls tonight. This win should bode well for our NBA PowerRankings position (currently #12). I know its just a sports pundits opinion (@johnschuhmann), but I think the job Thibs is doing with the Bulls (without the amazing star power that our beloved D. Rose brings) in maintaining their defensive prowess, should be recognized.
For this particular contest though, I knew:
- It would be a low scoring affair (NY had been averaging 102 ppg and 85 pts. would end up being a season low).
- Bulls would zealously guard the three (held NY to 35% shooting, 8-23).
- Our bigs would bang around inside (47 rebs to 40 for NY)
I DIDN’T know:
- The Bulls would be PERFECT from the FT line (18-18)
- Marco Belinelli would have another monster game (22 pts, 4 rebs, 3 stls. –> I like him in the starting lineup)
- The Bulls would shoot a higher % from three than the Knicks (In what world would that happen? <– 54%)
- J.R. Smith would go 4-14, Felton would need 30 shot attempts to get 27 pts. and Steve “Mr. Discount Double Check” Novak would be limited to 3 shot attempts from behind the arc.
- Knicks would shoot a season-low 32.1 percent from the floor and would match a season high with 15 turnovers.
In Game Tweets
Credit the #Bulls. Won their 3rd in a row playing their 4th game in 5 nights. 3 over .500 now & another game closer to DRose’s return.
— Silvy (@WaddleandSilvy) December 9, 2012
Bulls win Bulls win Bulls win….93-853 starters Deng-46 min (22pts)Belinelli 45min 22ptsNoah 44min10-11rebNate 14-8assts 6 reb
— chuck swirsky (@swirsk054) December 9, 2012
Given the circumstances (4th game in 5 nights) and who they were playing (Knicks), this was the Bulls’ most impressive win of the season.
— Nick Friedell (@ESPNChiBulls) December 9, 2012
Good win fellas
— Jimmy Butler (@mr_2eight1) December 9, 2012
— ChiTwn Bulls Blog (@ChiTwnBullsBlog) December 9, 2012
Taj ejected, Kirk hurt, not to mention no Derrick…Marco with another big game, Lu being Lu, Jo turning it on late, timely plays from Jimmy
— Aggrey Sam (@CSNBullsInsider) December 9, 2012
- Joakim, Belli and Lu logged HEAVY minutes… 44, 44 and 46 respectively
- Taj was ejected with 3:40 left in 2nd quarter for arguing a call
- Melo missed his second game with the finger laceration injury
- Rip missed his 4th game and the medical staff is saying approximately 4 weeks for his return
- Hinrich injured his left elbow and didn’t return for the second half. He’s day-to-day.
- “They took the 3s away, took my 3s away off the screen and roll, then they attacked the big (men), that’s why I took so many shots today. I normally don’t take that many shots.” – Raymond Felton
- “I didn’t say anything worthy of a single technical…” – Taj Gibson (on getting two quick techs and subsequent ejection)
- “I talked to Taj and told him this happens. If you [are] in the league so long, you are going to lose your temper and get tossed at some point…” – Luol Deng
Bulls get the opportunity to exact some revenge on the Clips (Tuesday, Dec. 11th) who embarrassed them earlier in the season at Staples. They will need to again, guard the three and manage to contain Jamal Crawford, who was the real reason the Bulls fell. Their pick and roll defense will need to be on point vs. Chris Paul and of course, there will need to be some awareness for the “lob” pass.
Unbelievably, the game vs. the Clips will be our FIRST that’s nationally televised. 19 games in? Really? Ok. Life without Derrick Rose certainly takes some getting used to… Game will be aired at 8:30p on ESPN. I’ll be in game tweeting from @ChiTwnBullsBlog, let’s extend the streak to a season high FOUR games!
Take care til’ next time… –ct