Well, at least Thibs is locked up. $17.5M over four years with bonuses/incentives that can allow him to make up to $20M. That was the breaking news shared at Bulls Media Day. Bittersweet though based on the task that is in front of Chicago, having to start (and perhaps finish) the season without Derrick Rose.
To add even further insult, it looks like ESPN Power Rankings is starting the Bulls out at .500. 15th in the league? Lot of work to do… We’ve officially lost our credibility and elite status along with the MVP – at least in the eyes of the media.
I’ve heard that the Bulls were mostly upbeat despite Derrick’s devastating injury. Everyone seems to be excited about the re-signing of Hinrich and all the new guys seem to be ready to start camp.
- “I have a tremendous amount of respect for what they [last season’s bench mob members] did for our team. They did a great job for us just the way they handled themselves. That was last year. This is this year. It’s the nature of the league.” – Coach Tom Thibodeau
- “Right now cutting is the hardest thing in the world. I’m scared of it. Right when I think I get that down, I’ll be pretty close. Hopefully, it won’t take a whole year.” – Derrick Rose
- “He’s [Rose] right where we want him to be.” – Gar Forman
- “I’m excited. He (Thibodeau) talked to me about playing a lot, being a big part of this. I assume I’ll play both (guard) spots. It’s as good as I’ve felt (physically) in a while. I think we’ll be and if we play how they have the last few years we should be able to right the ship.” – Kirk Hinrich
- “I’m done dunking in those competitions but not in the games. I’m going to try to get a lot of dunks this season. A lot of people have been asking me, especially (Carlos) Boozer. He has been saying he can’t wait until I dunk on someone so he can scream.” – Nate Robinson
- “I’m happy to be here. It really is a dream, a good team like Chicago. This is my sixth year in the league (Golden State, Toronto and New Orleans). I have been in the playoffs once. This (can be) a championship team. Everyone talks about (my) three point shot, but I can bring energy, a lot of other stuff. I can dribble, pass the ball to my teammates. I want to be a better defender, a complete guy. These are amazing teammates, amazing coaches, coaches always ready to help. I can be a funny guy. I’ll play hard, expect to win.” – Marco Belinelli
- “Nate’s a real (jerk), but we need (jerks), so it’s good.” – Laughingly stated by Joakim Noah
I’ll be posting a blog soon about the new look bench and will be attending the pre-season home opener against the Memphis Grizzlies on Tuesday, so I’ll have even more fan goodies for everyone to enjoy.